05 July 2010

Things

I was watching a movie last night and for some reason my attention was drawn to the things hanging on the wall of this persons house. Pictures, nick nacks and such, and I started wondering why we do this? Why do we hang random things on our walls that basicly have no meaning to us other than it is nice to look at. But then I thought for how long, is it nice to look at? At what point do we quit seeing it?


I had also considered this very thing in realtionships. While watching a show about divorce the thought crossed my mind how we may at some point stop "Seeing our partner" I mean really see them. Like we did when we were first attracted to them, you know kinda of like when we see somthing and hang it on the wall. We stop and really look at it as we pass, we know it is there and we enjoy it, the feeling it gives us. Until we have to dust it, then it is not so much fun to look at, we see the dust.


So we look for a new thing to hang on the wall, to recreate the feeling of joy. So we end up with lots of things haning on our walls, until one day, we say, I am going to redecorate and start all over. These things are out of date and boring, the color scheme dosent work for me any more....reason after reason we use to change up but all we really want is that feeling. Because we stopped looking.

It gave me pause to look around my house, to really look at what is hanging on the walls, sitting on the tables, to really look at it, to find the joy it gave me when I placed it there. And to clean house a bit, to remove the things that are just things, and to have items that have a value besides pleasing my eyes.

It also reminds me to look at my husband, to "See" him and all the wonderful things about him. I am so thankful for those momemts of insight, that keep me in the present, keep my eyes from wanting and lusting after things.......there is so much joy in 'seeing" and having a purpose a deeper meaning for what we claim in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment